Wellington Harbour (Port Code: NZWLG) is a large-sized natural harbour on the southern tip of New Zealand's North Island. The harbour, the sea area bounded by a line between Pencarrow Head to Petone foreshore, was officially named Port Nicholson. The almost circular harbour measures 7 miles (11 km) by 6 miles and covers a total of some 31 square miles (80 square km). At least 60 feet (18 metres) deep over most of its extent, the bay is one of the world’s finest natural harbours. The port, first used by sealers and whalers, was chosen in 1839 to be the site of the initial New Zealand Company settlement.