Search

Timisoara (ROTSR)

Port Code ROTSR City Timisoara
Port Name Timisoara Country/Region Romania
Category Port City Route EUROPEAN BRANCH PORT
Nearby Main Port Inland Transport
Official Website Port Type Dry Port

Introduction of Timisoara (ROTSR)

Handover

Overview

      Timisoara Port (port code: ROTSR) is a former commercial port located on the Bega Canal and, of Romania's 30 inland ports, is the only one not located on the Danube River.

      The port dates back to 1860. At the time, the port headquarters were located on the left bank of Bega in the Iosefin district. The shore offered 450 m (1,480 ft) of space where barges could be moored. The Iosefin water tower was located in the middle section of the right bank.

      A harbourmaster was added in 1928. The harbourmaster managed the harbour and port and controlled Otelec which, through the Bega Canal, provided a connection between Bega and Regensburg. This connection facilitated the transport of agricultural products from Banat to Vienna via the Rhine River, as well as the Adriatic coast. Access to the Rhine meant access to the North Sea which ensured a thriving trade.

      After the Second World War, navigation to the Bega was significantly reduced and the freight transport channel was eventually abandoned in 1960. Commercial and passenger ships were withdrawn seven years later.

      In May 2022, the port gained access to the western European river network through its renovated Bega canal, allowing for increased transportation and trade facilities. The 115-km canal connects Timisoara to the Tisza River, in Serbia, and further with the Danube. The port was thus reused after more than 60 years.

Other Ports in Romania

Leave a Message

* Tell us which Seaport info wrong or missing.

Summary of ROTSR

Timisoara Port (port code: ROTSR) is a former commercial port located on the Bega Canal and, of Romania's 30 inland ports, is the only one not located on the Danube River.
The port dates back to 1860. At the time, the port headquarters were located on the left bank of Bega in the Iosefin district. The shore offered 450 m (1,480 ft) of space where barges could be moored. The Iosefin water tower was located in the middle section of the right bank.
A harbourmaster was added in 1928. The harbourmaster managed the harbour and port and controlled Otelec which, through the Bega Canal, provided a connection between Bega and Regensburg. This connection facilitated the transport of agricultural products from Banat to Vienna via the Rhine River, as well as the Adriatic coast. Access to the Rhine meant access to the North Sea which ensured a thriving trade.
After the Second World War, navigation to the Bega was significantly reduced and the freight transport channel was eventually abandoned in 1960. Commercial and passenger ships were withdrawn seven years later.
In May 2022, the port gained access to the western European river network through its renovated Bega canal, allowing for increased transportation and trade facilities. The 115-km canal connects Timisoara to the Tisza River, in Serbia, and further with the Danube. The port was thus reused after more than 60 years.