Search

Hong Kong Port (HKHKG)

Port Code HKHKG City Hong Kong
Port Name HONG KONG Country/Region Hong Kong,China
Category Port City Route HONG KONG
Nearby Main Port Inland Transport
Official Website Port Type Main Port

Introduction of Hong Kong Port (HKHKG)

Overview:

Hong Kong (Port of Hong Kong, port code: HKHKG:, HK) port is the main natural resource of Hong Kong. In 1841, Hong Kong was opened as a port. In the early years, commercial activities were dominated by trade. As a major entrepot between China and foreign countries, trade is still one of the main economic pillars of Hong Kong.

Hong Kong (Port of Hong Kong, port code: HKHKG:, HK)-General Freight Network


2016 Hong Kong Port Statistics

  • Summary of Port Traffic Statistics
  • Container throughput
  • Kwai Tsing Container Terminal Throughput

Hong Kong Port and Maritime Bureau

Hong Kong is one of the few ports in the world that does not have a port authority. All port facilities are privately owned and operated. The industry is highly competitive. In the 1980s, Hong Kong's trade boomed. Obviously, a long-term port development strategy was needed, and the future huge projects of the port also needed careful coordination. In view of this, the Port Development Bureau was established in April 1990 to advise the government on all matters related to port planning and development. In response to changes in demand, port cargo handling capacity, productivity, performance, and internal and external competition in Hong Kong, the Development Bureau assesses port development needs, recommends strategies for planning new port facilities, and coordinates government and private sector participation in the formulation of port development Suggest. In addition to having excellent ports, Hong Kong has also performed well in the shipping industry. There are many well-known senior ship owners, ship management companies, and companies that provide ship financing and insurance services. In order to strengthen the advantages of Hong Kong's ports, shipping industry and shipping-related industries, the government is determined to create a better operating environment for the shipping industry. To achieve this goal, the Port Development Board was reorganized and was renamed the Hong Kong Port and Maritime Board on June 1, 1998. In addition to providing advice to the government on the development of Hong Kong’s port, the new function will also promote Hong Kong’s shipping industry and develop Hong Kong into an international shipping center. In May 2000, the Port and Maritime Bureau added new functions to consolidate and promote Hong Kong's status as a world-class transportation and logistics center.

Hong Kong Port Distribution

Hong Kong Port

Hong Kong is one of the busiest and most efficient international container ports in the world. In 2014, the Hong Kong port handled 22.2 million standard containers. At present, the port of Hong Kong provides about 350 container liner services every week, connecting the port of Hong Kong to about 510 destinations around the world. The main cargo handling facilities of the port include container terminals, inland waterways, mid-stream operation areas and public cargo handling areas. Support facilities include docks, typhoon shelters, etc. In 2014, the throughput of the Kwai Chung-Tsing Yi Container Terminal reached 17.6 million TEUs, accounting for 79% of the port's container throughput. The remaining 21% of the containers are handled in mid-stream operation areas, river trade terminals, public cargo handling areas, buoys and anchorages, and other private warehouse terminals. In 2015, the Hong Kong port handled 20.1 million TEUs. At present, the Hong Kong port provides approximately 340 container liner services every week, connecting Hong Kong ports to approximately 470 destinations around the world. The main cargo handling facilities of the port include container terminals, inland river freight terminals, mid-stream operation areas and public cargo handling areas. Support facilities include docks, typhoon shelters, etc.

In 2015, the throughput of the Kwai Chung-Tsing Yi Container Terminal reached 15.6 million TEUs, accounting for 78% of the port's container throughput. The remaining 22% of the containers are handled in mid-stream operation areas, inland waterways, public cargo handling areas, buoys and anchorages, and other private warehouse terminals.

Container terminal

Hong Kong's container terminal is located at the Kwai Chung-Tsing Yi Dock Basin. There are a total of nine terminals, which are managed and operated by five operators. The five operators are Hyundai Terminals Co., Ltd., Hong Kong International Terminals Co., Ltd., COSCO-International Terminals (Hong Kong) Co., Ltd., Goodman DP World and Asia Container Terminals Co., Ltd. The nine piers cover an area of ​​279 hectares and provide 24 berths with a total of 7,694 meters of deep water embankment.

The water depth of the Kwai Chung-Tsing Yi Port Basin is 15.5 meters, and the total container terminal handling capacity exceeds 20 million TEUs per year.

Midstream operating area   

Hong Kong's mid-stream operations area mainly provides cargo handling services between barges and container trucks/trucks. The cargo includes ocean-going and inland river cargo. The current midstream operation area is located in 12 different locations in Hong Kong, covering a total area of ​​34.6 hectares and providing a 3,513-meter embankment. The lease of the operation area is divided into long-term and short-term leases.

Inland River Cargo Terminal

The scope of operations of the Hong Kong River Inland Wharf includes the reorganization and consolidation of containers and bulk cargoes between Hong Kong and the Pearl River Delta. The terminal is located at Pillar Point, Tuen Mun, and is operated by River Trade Terminals Limited. The pier covers an area of ​​65 hectares and provides a 3,000-meter embankment.

Public cargo working area

The public cargo handling area allocates berths and embankments in the form of short-term leases to allow operators to unload general cargo, bulk cargo and containers from barges. There are currently six public cargo handling areas in Hong Kong, providing 5,060-meter embankments, which are managed by the Marine Department of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region.


Buoys and anchorages

In Hong Kong waters, there are two types of buoys used by ships for cargo operations. They are collectively called government mooring buoys and are classified as follows:

  • Grade A government mooring buoy-can accommodate ships up to 183 meters long and 6.4 meters to 9.8 meters deep
  • Class B government mooring buoy-can accommodate ships up to 137 meters long and 6.4 meters to 9.1 meters deep

The government mooring buoy is mainly used for the mooring of ocean-going vessels to load and unload cargo onto the barge. In addition, government mooring buoys can be used for anchoring ships under severe weather conditions, and can also be used for other non-cargo handling purposes, such as mooring cruise ships.

Hong Kong ports also provide anchorages for freight operations. There are currently 16 such anchorages with a total area of ​​3,606 hectares.

In 2014, a total of 1.4 million TEUs and 27.5 million metric tons of bulk cargo were handled at buoys and anchorages. In 2015, a total of 1.3 million TEUs and 25.9 million metric tons of bulk cargo were handled at buoys and anchorages.

Port logistics facilities   

Port logistics activities are an integral part of Hong Kong's port operations. These activities are necessary for the operation of the port, but do not need to be carried out within the port. The port logistics facilities include container storage yards, container yards, container truck yards and container truck maintenance workshops.

At present, there are about 425 hectares of land in Hong Kong used for port logistics, more than 100 hectares are located in the port area, and most of the rest are located in the New Territories (such as Yuen Long, Lok Ma Chau, etc.).

Typhoon Shelter 

There are 13 typhoon shelters in Hong Kong with a total water area of ​​419 hectares, which serve as shelters for local and river inland vessels during typhoons and severe weather. The length of vessels using typhoon shelters is limited to 30.4 meters, 50 meters or 75 meters.

shipyard

There are currently two types of shipyards serving the port industry in Hong Kong: the first type is small-scale shipyards that provide services for local ships; the second type is large-scale floating docks and shipyards that provide services for ocean-going vessels.
Local shipyards are located in 11 different areas, and three floating docks are located on the west side of Tsing Yi Island.

Other Ports in Hong Kong,China

Leave a Message

* Tell us which Seaport info wrong or missing.