Port of Valencia (Port of Valencia, port code: ESVLC), the seaport is located in Valencia, Spain. This is the fifth busiest port in Europe, as the largest Mediterranean basin in Spain,It has an annual freight transportation capacity of approximately 57 million tons (2009) and 4.21 million TEU (2010).
The port is also an important employer in the region, with more than 15,000 employees who provide services to more than 7,500 ships every year.
The port has a subtropical Mediterranean climate with prevailing westerly winds. The highest annual average temperature is 36 degrees Celsius and the lowest is 1 degrees Celsius. The annual average rainfall is about 1000mm. The average tidal range is about 0.6m.
The Port of Valencia is located at the mouth of the Spanish River, in the Gulf of Valencia, on the west side of the Mediterranean Sea. It is the nearest sea gateway to the capital Madrid and an important industrial city in eastern Spain. The main industries are shipbuilding, etc., and it is one of Spain's shipbuilding centers. It is also a famous cultural city, multi-cultural and scientific research institutions. There are many historical sites, the most prominent is the Bell Tower, known as the "Hundred Bell Tower City", is a famous tourist attraction. The port is about 15km away from the airport .
Port area distribution and berth situation:
The water area of the port is 618 hectares and the total length of the wharf coastline is 23km.
The main berths in the port area are as follows:
Wharf category Berth (a) Shoreline length (m) Maximum water depth (m)GENERAL CARGO 8 1994 11
CONTAINER 4 1034 14
OIL QUAY 3 657 12
BULK CARGO 5 1155 14
RO/RO (Ro-Ro) 5 1074 7
Storage yard and capacity: The warehouse area is 55,000 square meters, the storage yard area is 187,000 square meters, and the vegetable oil depot can store 7,000 tons of oil. Loading and unloading machinery and capacity: The loading and unloading equipment includes various shore cranes, portable cranes, container cranes, floating cranes and ro-ro facilities, among which the maximum lifting capacity of floating cranes is 80 tons. There are also oil pipelines with a diameter of 152.4-254mm for the loading and unloading of oil ships. The oil pipeline can lead directly to the refinery at a rate of 300 cubic meters per hour.
The history of the Port of Valencia began in 1483, when King Ferdinand God granted Anthony Joan the privilege to build a wooden bridge dock on the beach in the Grao area, called the Dupont Foster Ship.
From 1483 until the 19th century, various construction projects were built in the port, but due to the periodic flooding on the beach of the Turia River and the continuous movement of sand the port did not have significant success. However, traffic also gradually improved over time and the king finally gained trade privileges with other kingdoms and sovereign nations in 1679, for the Americas region in 1791, and made Valencia the sixth largest maritime province in Spain.
The three ports controlled by the Valencia Port Authority are in Valencia, Sagunto and Gandia. They are located on the Mediterranean coast, along the 80-kilometer-long eastern coastline of Spain.
The Port of Valencia is a regional center with an influence of economic activities covering a radius of 350 kilometers, which produces 51% of Spain’s GDP, which includes half of the country’s entire working population. The port has a wharf 12 kilometers long and covers an area of 300 acres (a total storage area of 1.2 square kilometers).
The annual capacity of the entire port of the Port of Sagunto is 10%-its main cargo is liquefied natural gas; 300 million tons of gas is transported annually due to the vicinity of the regasification plant.
About 70% of the current traffic in the port of Sagunto consists of iron and steel products and the remaining fertilizers, construction materials, wood and perishable products.
Port of Gandia
Gandia Port has an annual capacity of 1.5% of the entire port, and specializes in exporting and importing agricultural and forestry products: timber, reels, pulp, paper and furniture.