Less Than Container Load (LCL) means that the carrier (or agent) to accept the shippment of the goods that is loaded less than a full Container.
Less Than Container Load (LCL) means that the carrier (or agent) to accept the shippment of the goods that is loaded less than a full Container, packing a certain number of goods bound for the same destination into a container. LCL cargo classification, sorting, concentration, packing (unpacking), delivery and other work are carried out at the carrier's terminal container freight station or inland container transfer station.
LCL can be divided into direct LCL and transshipment LCL. Direct LCL means that the goods in LCL containers are loaded and unloaded at the same port and are not unpacked until the goods arrive at the destination port. That is, the goods are unloaded at the same port. This kind of LCL service has a short shipping period and is convenient and fast. Generally, Some LCL companies are able to provide only this kind of service. Transhipment refers to goods in containers at different ports of destination that need to be unpacked and unloaded or transhipped on the way. The delivery period is relatively long, and the shipping freight is relatively high.
Container LCL transport
The way of delivery
1. Door to Door;
2. Door to CFS;
3. Door to CY;
4. CFS to Door;
5. Container terminal to container Terminal (CFS to CFS);
6. Container depot to container Yard (CFS to CY);
7. CY to Door;
8. Container yard to CFS;
9. Container yard to CY.
With the rapid development of international trade and the continuous extension of transport services, container transport terms will continue to expand to meet the needs of customers.
1. Inland transportation;
2. Loading and unpacking of container freight stations at loading and unloading ports;
3. Loading port container operation terminal handling;
4. Loading and unloading container vehicles;
5. Transport by sea.
In terms of actual operation, more than 80% of LCL cargoes are carried in a way of CFS to CFS, followed by Door to Door, Door to CFS, and CFS to Door. The main reason is determined by the nature of LCL:
1. Multiple goods from different consignors and receivers. LCL involves a number of different consignor and consignee's goods;
2. The trade terms and the policies and regulations of the importing and exporting vary from countries to countries. Some commodities and goods are exported without restrictions, but in the importing country, once such things happen, it will not only affect the customs clearance of the goods, but also directly affect other goods transported in the same box.
3. Customs clearance, inspection and other links of import and export goods are different: for several batches of goods transported in the same box, if one batch of goods has problems in customs clearance and inspection, including missing inspection items, time delay, it will affect the assembled FCL transport;
4. The documents is required to be complete, including the information about the consignee, the port of destination, name, specifications, packing of the goods, quantity, weight, size. If every batch of the goods has slight overweight, it will affect the whole shipment, cause container transportation difficulties; if each batch of the goods has a small amount of excess, the added volume may be greater than the container content volume, resulting in cargo can not be loaded or even dumped, thus affecting the shipment of the whole container goods;
5. Temporary change: From the factories to the final departure of the shipment, traders and consignors will constantly check and verify the real situation of the goods. If errors are found, they will propose amendments to the documents or adjust the goods. Therefore, the responsibility of a professional LCL company is to verify all the conditions of the goods before they are encasred, and accurately judge all kinds of matters that may occur after the arrival of the goods at the destination port. If there is any problem, they are requiared to contact relevant parties in time to ensure the smooth delivery of the goods. Changes like this are more frequent than FCL changes because of the number of votes involved in LCL.
The duties of the LCL corporation
1. The company shall confirm cooperation relationship with shipping company and book shipping space in advance, which is the prerequisite to ensure safe shipment of goods.
2. The company shall be familiar with and master the suitable mode of transportation and route of goods, distinguish responsibilities, have a deep understanding of the flow of goods and the provisions of the relevant links, always monitor the flow of goods, documents, information flow.
3. When collecting goods, the company shall detail the operation mode, airline advantages, shipping schedule, price standards and supporting services of the company to the business customers, so that the consignor can have a clear concept of how the shipped LCL goods can safely arrive at the destination.
4. The companies should have reliable agent network and business partner. Setting up companies and offices is an option for professional LCL companies to develop their service business, but no matter how large a LCL company is, it is impossible to have its own independent operation department at all stages of transportation. Therefore, it is necessary to establish an agent network with stable service and coordinated operation.
5. The company should be equipped with reliable information support platform. The competitiveness between LCL business is services. Therefore, except to invest a lot of manpower, more important is to strengthen the construction of information. With various document and frequent communications among relevant parties, it will be difficult to support a large number of freight traffic unimpeded without a strong high-tech network system.
6. The company should have your own monitoring platform, CFS. Before production of the goods and during delivery, LCL companies plan and monitor the goods based on document information. Only when the goods arrive at CFS, can they finally verify the accuracy of various numbers, so as to play the role of LCL freight forwarders.
Disclaimer: The content here is for informational purpose only. Seabay Logistics does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any advice, opinion, statement or other information provided.
Add ：# 3108, CIQ Building, South Wenjin Road, Luohu District, Shenzhen China 518001.
Tel ：+86-755-82141292 Fax ：+86-755-82141001
Please login WeChat on your mobile and scan below QR Code to find us.(You will have to download WeChat Apps on your mobile first if you don't have this application.)